Saturday, February 27, 2010

Be Thou My Vision

If I could choose one song that forever expressed what I want my heart to be forever crying out, this would be it. The words to this song are simply incredible, and I wish I could say that my heart is continuously singing them.

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping Thy presence my light

Be thou my wisdom and Thou my true word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, I , Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one

Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance now and always
Thou and thou only first in my heart
High King of heaven my treasure Thou are

High King of heaven my victory won
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun
Heart of my own heart whatever befall
Still be my vision O Ruler of all

I started off this post originally by pausing and attempting to rephrase what the hymn was saying between verses, but I shortly realized that the words really speak for themselves. But I will note a few of the things that make this my favorite hymn.

The lines “riches I heed not nor man’s empty praise/Thou mine inheritance now and always” really strikes a chord to me. Not only am I singing that I don’t seek the praise of man, I’m saying that the praise of man is empty, worthless. The greatest praise I can receive from man is nothing compared to the inheritance I receive in the Lord.

Also the lines “Heart of my own heart whatever befall/Still be my vision O Ruler of all” really wrap up the entire song. Of course we can sing about how God is our father, our best thought day and night. Of course we can proclaim that he is first in our hearts when things are going well. But this is countered in just two words: “whatever befall”. Whatever happens, God, you will still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment